A lot of people would never even consider living in a floodplain, but, despite the obvious hazard of floods, living in a floodplain can have some advantages for those that settle there. Here are some reasons why there may be settlements near floodplains.
- Floodplains are areas of flat land. This means that they are easy to build on and farm on because there are no hills, mountains, slopes etc.
- The soils found on floodplains are rich in minerals so they’re very fertile for growing crops. They’re ideal for farming
- Rivers are natural route ways and they can be used for trade and transport
- Because floodplains are close to water, they can provide drinking water to those that live near them
- Rives also provide a lot of natural resources for example they can provide fish for food